Nowadays IT education in Ukraine is booming. Year after year high schoolers dream about becoming IT specialists and having a career growth in the software development.
How much will manage to enroll in IT universities in Kharkiv and become a certified specialists with a diploma?
Kharkiv IT Cluster has conducted a survey on Kharkiv universities which train specialists. Basing on this survey, it was reported, how much school graduates annually study on IT disciplines and which disciplines refer to IT.
The survey demonstrates the dynamics of IT education in the last 4 years and also how do things stand with IT-education in other cities of Ukraine.
ТОP-5 Universities of Kharkiv which train IT-specialists
- Kharkiv National University of Radioelectronics (KhNURE) – it is a number one university that trains IT specialists. 20 years later it was associated with radiotechnics. Now it is directly associated with programming have a record of a considerable university among employers.
- National Technical University “Kharkiv Polytechnical Institute” – runs a close second and plays second fiddle among educational institutions which train IT-specialists in Kharkiv. “KPI” has two faculties that give IT education “Informatics and management” and “Computer and informational technologies”. Both were established in 2000-2002 when the demand for IT sphere among high school graduates significantly increased. Today the faculty trains specialists by eight IT disciplines and three qualification levels: bachelor, specialist and master.
- National Aerospace University “Kharkiv Aviation Institute” (KhAI). Institute positions itself as a place where “elite” IT education can be obtained. KhAI is valuable for its lecturing staff, but its weak point, according to AIN’s survey among students is antiquated educational system.
- Kharkiv National Economic University (KhNEU). During the 2010-2014 period, only 980 students graduated from its IT department.
- V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University (KhNU). The faculty of computer sciences was established in 2001. During the last 4 years it has educated just 10% of IT specialists.
The dynamics of education in IT area in Kharkiv institutes in 2010-2014
During the last 4 years, according to the data of 5 field-specific Kharkiv institutes, 7311 IT guys has graduated. The most were from KHNURE and KhPI.
IT community is permanently discussing which specialities are undoubtedly refer to IT, and which are disputable. Kharkiv IT-Cluster has decided to make it clear and discovered the classification subject area and IT .
Information on areas is based on 2015 data.
|Informatics and computing techniques||Computer sciencesComputer engineering
|System sciences and cybernetics||Applied mathematicsInformatics
|Informational security||Security of informational and communication systemsInformation technical security systems
Informational security management
|Economics and business studies||Economical cybernetics|
|Automation and management||System engineeringAutomation and computer-integrated technologies|
|Radiotechnics, radio-electronic devices and communication||RadiotechnicsTelecommunication|
|Publishing and printing||Publishing and printing|
The most in-demand IT speciality in Kharkiv is Computer sciences, which can be seen on the comparison of studying seats number for each speciality in 2015.
Copmarison of the number of studying seats for IT specialities
Having analyzed the dynamics of the demand for IT specialities in the 2010-2014 timeframe, it can be seen that Computes sciences was always in-demand and only gains momentum year after year.
Dynamics of the demand for IT specialities in 2010-2014
The drop of IT education in 2011 is apparent. All specialities except “System analysis” receded from their positions. But it is well-known that growth starts after the downfall, which is proved by the growth of enrollees’ number on IT specialities since 2012.
IT-profession in 2016
2016 is the year of changes in IT education. Starting from the next year, new fields and specialities in IT education will be established.
|Informational technologies||Computer sciences and informational technologiesComputer engineering
|Automation and instrument engineering||Automation and computer-integrated technologies|
|Electronics and telecommunication||Telecommunication and radiotechnics|
|Publishing and printing||Publishing and printing|
IT education today.Studying seats in Kharkiv, Kyiv and Lviv in 2015-2016 academic year
According to the assignment of studying seats between universities of Kharkiv, Kyiv and Lviv in 2015, Kyiv is leading.
Following field-specific institutes of each region were considered:
- Kharkiv: KhNURE, KhPI, KhAI, V.N. Karazin KhNU, KHNEU
- Kyiv: NTU “KPI”, Taras Shevchenko KNU, NAU, NaUKMA.
- Lviv: NU “LP”, Ivan Franko LNU
Comparison of studying seats number in the institutes of Kharkiv, Kyiv and Lviv in 2015
In 2015 “Computer science” keep moving forward, “Computer engineering” is overtaking and the last in top three is “Software engineering”.
The most in-demand It specialities in Kyiv, Lviv and Kharkiv according to the number of studying seats in 2015.
Kharkiv as an IT capital
Today there exist 1943 state-funded and contract studying places in Kharkiv institutes with IT specific and allied educational areas.
According to recent statistical data from UNdata in 2013, there are 1.431 millions of people in Kharkiv. There is one IT guy for 1034 Kharkiv citizens, as in Kyiv there is one for 1237. This proves the leading position of Kharkiv compared to other huge regions of Ukraine.
The coefficient of the number of students for the number of citizens in Kharkiv and Kyiv
- 5 leading universities of Kharkiv can adopt 1943 enrollees in 2015-2016 academic year;
- KhNURE and KhPI train the maximum of IT-specialists annually;
- The most in-demand speciality since 2010 is “Computer sciences”;
- The number of enrollees on IT specialities in Kharkiv grows each year;
- Kharkiv holds the leading position by the number of studying seats for It specialities, according to the number of enrollees for the population of Kharkiv.